Thursday, March 24, 2011

Huston.... We have a problem

A few weeks back Farmer came to me and asked me if I wanted, yet another, "project". Now when Farmer says "project" I usually start to sweat slightly. This project got in my the heart and I was hooked, so my new "project" is Huston. No, not a vacaction, a calf. Huston's mommy passed in labor, basically she didn't know when to stop pushing and killed herself. Farmer found baby Huston on the ground on a cold afternoon still wet and not even cleaned off yet. Huston was a big baby which could have been a helping factor in the hard labor. Farmer then loaded Huston up and brought him to the barn across from our house, where I, his momma now, take care of him. Huston gets a total of 3 bottles a day, 1 1/2 at a time morning and night.

When we first brought Huston to our barn, we didn't think he would make it. He was feverish, and shakey. We believed he lacked Oxygen somewhere during the birthing process, because it took him forever to figure out the idea of sucking, ( and he still is a little off sometimes, he may be a little special :) ) He also had a swollen knee, assuming he had a hard fall from momma. After some medicine and, what I believe, was a "mother's touch, (The 2nd or 3rd day that he was in my care he was very ill looking, thin, shaky, feverish, and just not very lively so I sat in the barn with him between legs and try to give him that feel, that regular baby calves get when they lay against their mommas)  must  have worked because, he is doing much better now and is up and kicking and bucking like the normal calves. I no longer have to strattle him , hold is head and force him to suck or tube him to make sure he has some food in his tummy. I simply hold the bottle on the edge of the fence and he comes right up and chugs it down! I couldn't be prouder! Like any mother I have to brag with some pictures!! Enjoy!

how could you not love that face!!

<3
Trying to warm him up
On his first walk



Let me tell ya , I have HUGE plans for Huston. I want him to be so kind and nice to me so when he is out in the feild this summer he will always come up to me and let me pet him, but then he will be mean to everyone else and pursue a long career in the Rodeo as one of the toughest bulls out there that no one is able to ride,  and has a sweet Rodeo name like "Huston... We have a problem" ,then I plane to retire him and fatten him up to be the biggest bull at the ISF, where then I will either sell him per pound or just keep him as a pet in our backyard!  Realistic right?? ;)
Untill next time, Keep on farmin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment