Tuesday, August 5, 2014

ISF.....

I think in another life I was a circus performer, ya know one of those really slim pretty girls who fly in the air? I would have loved the circus. Circus' remind me of fairs and there is no greater fair than the King of all fairs, the Iowa State Fair!


I am 25 and this year will be my 26th fair! I have never and I repeat never, unless my parents decide to ruin my life and tell me they didn't take me when I was 3 or something absurd like that, missed a state fair in my entire life!!


I get so excited! For my whole life and most of theirs my aunt and grandpa have pulled their campers to the same spot and camped at the fair! Don't like the fair? Are you thinking, I could see it all in one day?? Then you have never actually experienced and embraced the fair in all its Iowa pride, agriculture loving, corndog eating, wife calling joys that it really has to offer. The fair is 11 days of fun, and the only way in my opinion to experience it is to camp at the fair! I mean what is the fair without a shuttle ride or late night walk back to the campers and waking up each morning to the holler of " Paaaappper get yur papppper!!" and  to chat with your fair neighbors who you've known your entire life? And what's the state fair without running to the other side of the bathrooms at the first sound of the boom of the after concert fireworks?? What about having a place to rest during the heat of the day and eat a cold lunchmeat sandwich until the crowd dies down? A place to relax and watch the concert goes pass by at night only to laugh at them when they've walked around the corner?? A place to see all your family truly relax and just have fun? The fair would be a place a I would choose to retire to if it was a year long event. 11 days may seem long for a fair but to me, I just can't get enough!
When I was younger I would bring friends to the fair, they would tend to get bored and just want to ride rides. Don't get me wrong I loved that! But we had fair rules and one was, one ride a day, and at night we would all pick a treat to get as a family and share! I love just going to the different shows, seeing the things to buy, watching the livestock, watching the people, (which can sometimes be confused as the livestock), the smells of turkey legs, popcorn, and corndogs. The sights of the fairgrounds lit up at night and the rides going, and the peacefulness of the campgrounds in the evening once your away from the crowds. The sounds of the concerts, the squeals of the kids going down the big slide, and the tap shoes on the Bill Riley Stage! The photographs, the doll houses, the butter cow, the chainsaw carvings, the super bull, the big boar. O and the food!! Corndogs, pickle dogs, bucket of cookies, nitro ice cream, dairy barn cookie dough ice cream, ribbon fries. I could seriously go on and on! I can't get enough!! I especially can't wait to share the whole love of the fair with my little!!


ISF 2014 look out because we are ready and a coming for ya!!! Give it a chance I promise you will love it!!


Its only Tuesday and I head to the fair Friday, I wake up each day hoping its Friday!! I can't sleep at night because I'm dreaming of the State fair!



No comments:

Post a Comment